Riders to the Sea || Most Expected Questions for 2026 Semester III Examination || Sanjay Agarwala || PART-III || English || WBCHSE ||
C. True & False
Q. 1. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. Bartley is Maurya’s only living son at the end of the play.
II. The fishermen of the Aran Islands must go to the sea to earn their living.
III. The Riders to the Sea is a tragedy written in one act.
IV. The sea finally claims all the members of Maurya’s family.
(A) I–False, II–False, III–True, IV–True
(B) I–True, II–False, III–False, IV–True
(C) I–False, II–False, III–False, IV–False
(D) I–False, II–True, III–True, IV–False
Correct Option: (D)
Q. 2. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. The play is set on an island off the west of Ireland.
II. The cottage kitchen contains nets, oilskins, a spinning-wheel and some new boards.
III. Cathleen is described as a girl of about twenty years of age.
IV. Nora is described as Maurya’s elder daughter.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–False
(C) I–False, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(D) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 3. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. A row of clean white boards is leaning against the wall, originally purchased to make a coffin for Michael.
II. Cathleen uses an old knife to cut open the knot of the mysterious bundle.
III. The white boards are kept ready in case they are needed for the burial of a family member.
IV. The mysterious bundle contains a pair of new boots belonging to Bartley.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–False
(C) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(D) I–False, II–True, III–True, IV–False
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 4. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. Nora enters the cottage carrying a bundle from under her shawl.
II. The young priest had brought the bundle to Nora.
III. The clothes in the bundle had been found on a drowned man in Donegal.
IV. The young priest was certain from the beginning that the clothes belonged to Bartley.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–False
(C) I–False, II–True, III–True, IV–False
(D) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
Correct Option: (B)
Q. 5. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. Maurya uses the remaining holy water to sprinkle over Bartley’s body and Michael’s clothes.
II. Cathleen decides to take the train to the mainland to buy fine black fabric for their clothes.
III. Maurya refuses to accept that Bartley has been taken away by the sea.
IV. The village women enter the cottage and begin keening after Bartley’s body is brought home.
(A) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–False
(B) I–False, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(C) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(D) I–True, II–False, III–False, IV–True
Correct Option: (D)
Q. 6. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. The young priest says that Michael has got a clean burial if the clothes prove to be his.
II. The priest believes that Maurya will be left completely destitute if Bartley goes to sea.
III. The priest refuses to stop Bartley from going to the Galway Fair.
IV. The priest tells Nora that the Almighty God will not leave Maurya without a living son.
(A) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–True
(B) I–False, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(C) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–False
(D) I–True, II–False, III–False, IV–True
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 7. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. Bartley decided to go to Galway because the wind was rising from the south and it was a rare opportunity to sell the horses.
II. Maurya gave Bartley her full structural blessings and a purse of silver before he left the cottage door.
III. Bartley refuses to leave the horses behind because he expects to get a good price for them at the Galway Fair.
IV. Maurya later regrets not giving Bartley her blessing before he departed.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–True
(C) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(D) I–False, II–True, III–True, IV–False
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 8. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. Maurya has been looking for Michael for nine days.
II. Cathleen is initially certain that the clothes cannot belong to Michael.
III. Nora says that the sea is “middling bad” by the White Rocks.
IV. The wind is described as coming from the east and north.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–False
(C) I–False, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(D) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 9. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. Bartley enters the cottage in a hurry.
II. Bartley asks Cathleen about the new rope bought in Connemara.
III. The new rope is hanging on a nail by the white boards.
IV. The rope had been kept there because the horse had been eating it.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(B) I–False, II–True, III–True, IV–False
(C) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
(D) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–False
Correct Option: (C)
Q. 10. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. Bartley wants to use the new rope as a halter.
II. Maurya believes that the rope may be needed if Michael’s body is washed up.
III. Bartley agrees to remain at home because Maurya is afraid of the sea.
IV. Bartley says that there is only one boat going for two weeks.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–False
(C) I–False, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(D) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 11. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. Bartley asks Cathleen to watch that the sheep do not jump in on the rye.
II. He tells Cathleen that the pig with the black feet may be sold if a good price is offered.
III. Bartley asks Cathleen and Nora to gather enough weed for another cock for the kelp.
IV. Bartley says that the family will have several men left to work after his departure.
(A) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–False
(B) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
(C) I–False, II–True, III–True, IV–True
(D) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–False
Correct Option: (B)
Q. 12. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. Bartley asks Nora to look out and see whether the boat has arrived.
II. Nora says that the boat is passing the Green Head and letting fall its sails.
III. Bartley decides to postpone his journey until the sea becomes completely calm.
IV. The Galway Fair is described as a good fair for horses.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–False
(C) I–False, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(D) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 13. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. Maurya remembers losing Sheamus and his father in a dark night.
II. Sheamus and his father were found after the great wind.
III. They were found in the Bay of Gregory of the Golden Mouth.
IV. They were found separately in two different boats.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–True
(C) I–False, II–True, III–False, IV–False
(D) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 14. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. Maurya remembers Patch being drowned from a curagh that turned over.
II. When Patch was drowned, Bartley was still a baby.
III. Maurya remembers seeing women crossing themselves when Patch’s body was brought home.
IV. Patch’s body was brought home in a new white coffin.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–False
(C) I–False, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(D) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 15. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. Maurya says that many young men are floating around in the sea.
II. She believes that after nine days in the sea it may be difficult even for a mother to identify a body.
III. Cathleen believes that Michael’s body has been found in the far north.
IV. Maurya immediately accepts that the clothes definitely belong to Bartley.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–True
(C) I–False, II–True, III–False, IV–False
(D) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 16. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. Maurya recalls seeing Michael in fine clothes.
II. Michael appears in Maurya’s vision wearing new shoes.
III. Michael is seen riding the red mare behind Bartley.
IV. Bartley is riding the red mare while the grey pony follows him.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–False
(C) I–False, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(D) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 17. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. Maurya compares her terrifying vision with something seen by Bride Dara.
II. Bride Dara is associated with seeing a dead man with a child in his arms.
III. Cathleen and Nora react with fear when Maurya describes the vision.
IV. Maurya says that she saw Bartley riding the grey pony.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
(B) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(C) I–False, II–True, III–True, IV–False
(D) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–False
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 18. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. Old women enter the cottage crossing themselves on the threshold.
II. The women kneel down in front of the stage with red petticoats over their heads.
III. The women remain completely silent throughout the final scene.
IV. The women begin to keen softly after Bartley’s body is brought in.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–False
(C) I–False, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(D) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 19. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. Bartley’s body is carried into the cottage on a plank.
II. A bit of a sail is placed over Bartley’s body.
III. The grey pony knocked Bartley into the sea.
IV. Bartley’s body was recovered from the far north of Ireland.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–False
(C) I–False, II–True, III–True, IV–True
(D) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 20. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. Maurya says she will no longer need to go down for Holy Water on dark nights after Samhain.
II. She believes Michael has received a clean burial in the far north.
III. She says Bartley will have a fine coffin made from the white boards.
IV. At the end, Maurya declares that no man can live forever and that they must be satisfied.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–True
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–True
(C) I–False, II–True, III–True, IV–False
(D) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 21. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. The cottage has a door leading to the west.
II. There is a great deal of fishing gear in the cottage.
III. A spinning-wheel stands near the fireplace.
IV. The cottage is described as a large and luxurious house.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–False
(C) I–False, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(D) I–False, II–False, III–True, IV–True
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 22. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. Nora enters carrying a bundle hidden under her shawl.
II. Cathleen is initially unwilling to open the bundle in front of Maurya.
III. Nora says that the priest gave her the bundle.
IV. Cathleen immediately announces that the clothes belong to Bartley.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–False
(C) I–False, II–True, III–True, IV–True
(D) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–False
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 23. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. Cathleen examines the shirt in the bundle carefully.
II. Nora identifies Michael’s stocking partly through its knitting.
III. The stocking has a distinctive number of dropped stitches.
IV. The stocking is identified by Michael’s initials embroidered on it.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–True
(C) I–False, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(D) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–False
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 24. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. Cathleen says that Michael had a shirt like the one in the bundle.
II. Nora remembers that she knitted the stocking herself.
III. The clothes are initially kept hidden because Maurya might recognize them.
IV. The clothes are immediately taken to the church.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–False
(C) I–False, II–True, III–True, IV–False
(D) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 25. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. Maurya has lost her husband before the events of the play.
II. Her father-in-law was also lost at sea.
III. She recalls losing several sons through accidents connected with the sea.
IV. None of her family members had ever earned a living from the sea.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–False
(C) I–False, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(D) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 26. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. Maurya is deeply disturbed by the possibility of another son being lost at sea.
II. Cathleen attempts to comfort her mother.
III. Nora also shares Maurya’s fear about Bartley.
IV. Bartley considers the sea too dangerous to travel on that day.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–False
(C) I–False, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(D) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 27. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. Bartley is concerned about the economic needs of the household.
II. He believes that selling the horses will bring money to the family.
III. Cathleen asks Bartley to abandon the horses permanently.
IV. Bartley is eager to make the journey despite Maurya’s fears.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–True
(C) I–False, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(D) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 28. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. Maurya follows Bartley towards the spring well.
II. She carries bread for Bartley.
III. She intends to give him a blessing before he leaves.
IV. She deliberately refuses to speak to Bartley because she is angry with him.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–False
(C) I–False, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(D) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 29. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. Maurya returns from the spring well in a state of great agitation.
II. She says that she has seen the most fearful thing anyone could see.
III. Cathleen dismisses her mother’s vision as completely meaningless.
IV. Maurya’s vision foreshadows Bartley’s death.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–False
(C) I–False, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(D) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 30. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. Maurya’s vision contains an image of Michael.
II. Michael appears as a living man who speaks to Maurya.
III. The vision creates a strong sense of impending death.
IV. The vision occurs after Bartley has already returned safely from Galway.
(A) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–False
(B) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
(C) I–False, II–False, III–True, IV–True
(D) I–True, II–False, III–False, IV–True
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 31. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. Maurya remembers that the sea has repeatedly taken men from her family.
II. She considers the sea a source of livelihood as well as danger.
III. She believes that human beings can completely control the sea through prayer.
IV. Her experiences gradually lead her towards acceptance.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–False
(C) I–False, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(D) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 32. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. The Galway Fair is associated with the sale of horses.
II. Bartley considers the journey economically important.
III. Bartley decides to remain at home because Maurya asks him to.
IV. His decision to travel ultimately leads to the final tragedy.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–True
(C) I–False, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(D) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 33. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. The sea is central to the livelihood of the Aran Islanders.
II. The same sea repeatedly causes death in Maurya’s family.
III. The characters are able to escape the sea whenever they wish.
IV. The sea functions as a powerful force beyond human control.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–False
(C) I–False, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(D) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 34. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. Bartley’s death is caused by the grey pony.
II. The grey pony knocks Bartley against the white rocks.
III. The red mare is directly responsible for Bartley’s death.
IV. Bartley falls into the sea after being knocked down.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–True
(C) I–False, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(D) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 35. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. The villagers bring Bartley’s body back to the cottage.
II. The body is carried on a plank.
III. The body is placed outside the cottage and never brought inside.
IV. The final scene is filled with mourning.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–True
(C) I–False, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(D) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 36. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. The old man helps arrange matters concerning Bartley’s coffin.
II. Maurya has already bought white boards for a coffin.
III. The white boards have no connection with the family’s previous losses.
IV. The question of the coffin emphasizes the repeated deaths in the family.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–False
(C) I–False, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(D) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 37. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. The old man says that he will make a coffin from the white boards.
II. He initially says that the coffin will need nails.
III. The family already has sufficient nails available for the coffin.
IV. The absence of nails becomes an important practical problem near the end.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–False
(C) I–False, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(D) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 38. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. The women who enter at the end are associated with the mourning customs of the island.
II. Their keening contributes to the tragic atmosphere.
III. Their presence turns the ending into a comic scene.
IV. The final mourning emphasizes the inevitability of death.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–False
(C) I–False, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(D) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 39. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. Maurya’s attitude changes significantly by the end of the play.
II. She no longer expects another son to return from the sea.
III. She continues to believe that Bartley will eventually come home alive.
IV. Her final words express resignation to the will of fate.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–False
(C) I–False, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(D) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
Correct Option: (A)
Q. 40. Read the following sentences carefully and choose the correct set of True/False from the options given below:
I. The title “Riders to the Sea” refers to the men who repeatedly venture onto the sea.
II. The title carries an ironic tragic significance because the riders often become victims of the sea.
III. The play presents the sea merely as a beautiful background to the story.
IV. The title is closely connected with the central conflict between human life and nature.
(A) I–True, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(B) I–True, II–False, III–True, IV–False
(C) I–False, II–True, III–False, IV–True
(D) I–True, II–True, III–True, IV–False
Correct Option: (A)

0 Comments